09 July 2011

Teaching an old dog new tricks

So I had an accounting exam AND a statistics exam on Thursday

(I know, that's the very definition of brutal.  Especially for a liberal arts major.)

Of course, Mike Simon, accounting guru, has not graded our exams yet.  That is to be expected, he never grades anything in a timely manner.  I'll live with it, though, because he is a great teacher.  What I can tell you is that the accounting exam was horrific.  My head literally exploded in pain and I was pulling my hair.  The words on the page became completely unintelligible and my mind went blank.  Thank heaven that, for the last couple of weeks, I have been in a pretty good place spiritually; I was able to breathe, go back to the easier parts of the exam and look over them, and then was calm enough to finish.

Statistics. 

I had enrolled in the course in the spring and had to drop.  Spring as I've come to know and love it involves pollen.  Which means massive sinus infections that turn into bronchitis and sometimes pneumonia.  I missed too much class to try and make up the material, because I totally suck at math, so I dropped the course.  I suck so bad at math that I had to pay a tutor a fortune to get me through my college algebra class and I failed the math class designed for non-math majors.

Don't get me wrong about math.  I believe that math always tells the truth.  Getting it to tell me the truth is another story altogether.  It just doesn't happen often.

I did manage to make it through the first exam in my spring statistics course, pulled off a 'C' on it.  Having covered the material in the spring, it was a bit easier this time around.

I got a 99, motherfuckers. 

So, to all those who say you can't teach an old dog new tricks, "Eat THAT!"

No comments:

Post a Comment