13 September 2012

Fashion and style in the swamps of East Texas?

I'm tired of chronicling my fruitless job search. It's depressing. So today, you get my (and Sunshine's) thoughts on fashion and style. Stacy and Clinton, watch out!

Somehow, I got Sunshine to sit down and watch "The Tents" with me. This documentary about the history of fashion week in New York's Bryant Park is a couple years old, but I've never seen it. It was actually interesting to learn the history of the phenomenon known as New York Fashion Week. After it was over, Sunshine and I had a brief discussion on fashion and style.

I mentioned an article that I had read about how many people will choose items like a giant gold-tone D&G belt buckle to assert their status and power. Lots of folks will choose the overly logo-ed stuff, yet those in the industry will choose the simple, well-made items crafted from the finest materials. Those in the industry (fashion mag editors, designers, buyers, etc.) don't choose the heavily logo-ed, almost garishly ornamented items, they don't choose the "bling". They look for the details that are associated with luxurious quality; seam-binding, very fine fabrics, cut; the details that don't scream "look at me". Those are the things that are associated with status to those in the industry.

This caused Sunshine to think for about half a nanosecond. His statement was no judgement on either of these mindsets. It was a simple statement of personal preference. Sunshine said he just likes his camouflage. I had to concede that at least his camouflage was functional, and that i was ok with that, as long as he wasn't running around in a loincloth with his pistol hanging from it. He says to me, serious as a heart attack, "I could always get a spear".

Oh my fucking dear sweet holy baby cheesus.

I had a mouthful of Diet Dr. Pepper that I could not seem to swallow, no matter how hard I tried. I almost drowned myself trying not to spit it all over the magic bus laughing at his silly ass. Y'all, I barely made it to the sink. Diet Dr. Pepper came out my eyeballs, yo. That shit burned!

That'll teach me to get into discussions of the finer points of fashion and style with Sunshine, won't it?

6 comments:

  1. *laughs* That's great.

    Have you seen The September Issue? I watched in Netflix Streaming. I loved watching them put together the Sept. issue of Vogue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have yet to watch The September Issue. I'm just not that into Vogue. Harpar's Bazaar, absolutely; Marie Claire (who doesn't love Nina Garcia and Tim Gunn?), and sometimes even Lucky. Although The September Issue is probably worth watching just because it would be interesting to see how they choose what makes the issue.

      Delete
  2. HAHAHAHA! Gotta love a man who knows what he likes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't help but love him. He makes me laugh so hard it hurts!

      Delete
  3. I'm not allowed to watch Project Runway without my second grader. We love Tim Gunn. My husband claims to think it's all silly and wears whatever I buy for him (as long as it's jeans and polos), but you should have heard him talk about all the costume problems and the Renaissance Fair we went to (he used to perform at them). Suddenly he was Tim Gunn. The second grader totally got the fashion bug from him, not me in my yoga pants.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am trying to watch last night's Project Runway right now, but things keep slapping me in the face demanding to be done right. fucking. now. so here I sit doing that j-o-b thing while secretly blogging. Please, no spoilers as to who went home, let me watch it for mahself?

      Delete