21 March 2012

Today just hurts. I hate these days.

These days remind me that genuine pain management is somewhere in my future. I've always known this; my old neck and back injuries have been around for years, and they don't get better with time.

I'm grateful that I've found NSAIDs that mostly keep the pain under control. It has allowed me to postpone thinking about the inevitable day when I have to start considering pain meds.

Today is one of those days when the NSAIDs aren't doing enough. It's muscle tension from driving in the horrific rain yesterday, and it's pulling the already damaged parts of my neck, shoulder, and back in all sorts of unnatural directions. It hurts.

Narcotic pain meds would not be a relapse today. They would be considered medically necessary. I'm just trying to make it through this day without them.

If I can do that, I can delay thinking about the inevitable for a little while longer.

4 comments:

  1. What about something like acupuncture? I know you have an aversion to pain meds (for good reason) or some other holistic approach?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I can get someine to hire me upon graduation, I will definitely look into that. I know massage therapy would help too, so I'm hoping I can get hired somewhere. It would certainly be a far healthier option. Thanks for the suggestion; I had forgotten about acupuncture. This is why I love being #withtheband. The ideas, the love, the support--it's awesome!

      Delete
  2. Pain sucks demon balls. Especially when you can't take the good stuff. I'm familiar with that conundrum. I hope it's better today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The neck pain IS better. Today is ear pain, bad enough that I broke down and took the good stuff. Yeah, it's that bad in my ear. I'd go so far as to call it crucial.

      Delete