14 February 2013

Crisis of confidence?

I recently wrote about boredom and creativity. I'm sitting here, still quite proud of myself for my first efforts at reworking garments that I have and love, yet don't wear for whatever reason. I have sent three jackets off for alterations. I successfully dyed a pair of white skinny jeans grey. (They came out wonderful, by the way. I really need to wear them so I can take pics and show you I'm not lying. Also, I guess I'll have to take pics and show you what I did with the jackets, when they come back home from the seamstress.)

However, I am sitting here STILL BORED. I have the blue dye needed to dye those white wool pants I spoke of. However, I cannot bring myself to fill the sink with hot water and add the dye. There is something in me that doesn't know if I can pull this off.

I mean, the pants are beautiful, right? (No, that is not me in the picture. I WISH I had the nerve to let a white wool pant puddle on the floor like that.) These pants are even comfortable. Well, they're comfortable as long as you can forget that THEY'RE WHITE, and who the fuck wears white pants and actually keeps them white? Answer: not this girl; you should have seen all the tape marking the spots the dry-cleaner had to concentrate on--the thighs looked like a cheetah print in white and blue.

I wore the pants once as they are. That was a year ago. Now, there is no point in having something beautiful if you aren't going to enjoy it, and I am most decidedly NOT enjoying these pants if they're just hanging in the closet. amiright?

So what the hell is wrong with me? I can only suppose it is a crisis of confidence, possibly brought on by the sads that have been attacking me lately. Ultimately, I don't suppose it matters what is causing it.Ultimately, the only thing that matters is: "what do I want to do about it?"

And there's the rub. Iono.

I don't know what I am going to do about it. The smart thing to do is dye the pants. I mean, it's not like I can make them any more of a waste of money than they already are, hanging there in my closet unworn and unappreciated.

Somebody kick me in the ass, please?

6 comments:

  1. Consider yourself kicked. With the utmost love and respect, of course. The pants will either be an awesome new, wearable addition to your wardrobe or awesome fodder for a story and another reason to purge something you don't wear. Go for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just laughed so hard I snorted Reese's peanut butter cups out my nose. #thisiswhyiloveyou
      Also, I will share the results with you, no matter which way it goes.

      Delete
  2. Sometimes when I have writer's block I need something to make me fighting angry to get me back to writing. A friend once said no one could rock a righteous anger like I can and in my warped mind that's a compliment.

    Anger doesn't work for everyone but maybe you need your own emotion to give you a good swift kick in the ass.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Getting pissed off would probably help motivate me to do something. It's hard to sit still when your pissed

      Delete
  3. See, I'm terrified of dyes and anything else that leaves a stain. (Four years as an assistant to an anal retentive costume designer will do that to a person.) Which pretty much makes me the worst one ever to color easter eggs. My encouragement for you to go for it is purely selfish - show me that I have nothing to fear from the dye. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to post pictures. I also should probably post pictures of the jeans I'm wearing today, Which used to be white But have been dyed gray And they came out fabulous

      Delete